WW2 Russian Helmet.

The Devils Bank

WW2 Russian Helmet.

Postby The Devils Bank » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:14 pm

Just trying to find out what to do with this Russian helmet and how far I can go with cleaning it up :-??

It's a ground dug "find" from Berlin and and it fascinates me that these things are still being found during renovation works around the City.

Basically in poor condition, very thin in places, I want to give it some more of a chance of survival..

I'm not really clued up on Russian helmets, not sure of the type or description of it, but it was very cheap :ymapplause:

So, hopefully some thing can be done for it, here's hoping..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

resistanceunit

Re: WW2 Russian Helmet.

Postby resistanceunit » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:13 am

I know very little on helmets, but it looks to be ssh39 model, produced between 1939 and 1941. Are there rivets round the rim? Or higher up on the helmet?

But what I will say is please let's get the terminology correct: this is a "Soviet" helmet, not "Russian"

Personally I would leave "restoration" to an absolute minimum, and just give it a very light coating of oil to prevent further rusting, keep that paintwork intact.

I would love it in my collection..!
Last edited by resistanceunit on Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:21 am

From what I know from the research I did on mine there is not much difference in Russian helmet shells and a lot of Eastern Bloc countries used them post war. Much comes down to ink stamps (some are faked) and liners and chinstraps all of which are missing here. I think it is fair to assume it has been in the ground since wars end so WW2 Russian it is :thumbsup: maybe you could do the same thing as I did with one of my German helmet's where I treated the inside only and left the outside as found. Regards Mark.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:27 am

Here's what I mean :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Devils Bank

Postby The Devils Bank » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:50 pm

Thanks for the ideas chaps, parts of the helmet are starting to flake off :shock: :thumbsup:

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Postby Dave_Holden » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:30 pm

Nice to see one of these on our forum - often overlooked on other forums.

Andyb

Postby Andyb » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:57 pm

Very nice helmets , I am starting to like the battle damaged, rusty look even more :thumbsup:

The Devils Bank

Postby The Devils Bank » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:28 pm

After a bit of a clean up...

The Devils Bank

Postby The Devils Bank » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:18 pm

Inside the helmet fully cleaned up, the helmet is in a poorer state than first thought.

As I first thought, it is a bullet entry and exit hole.

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:11 pm

Things like that only add more interest to the helmet Pete :thumbsup: Regards Mark

The Devils Bank

Postby The Devils Bank » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:30 am

Finally got it back, and here it is now.. and it is a SSH39.

Minimum amount of work, just a proper clean up (you can get Tetanus from these relics ?) and part Soviet star added.

Sadly it is a bullet entry and exit hole.

I've been told that during the fighting in Berlin, any equipment that was lying around, was thrown in to any shell hole or ruined building cellers.

During renovation work last year, buildings around Potsdamer Platz, near where the Reichskanlei was situated, bits and pieces of Soviet equipment was found.

This helmet was part was part of that, and just to think the war was nearly over, only possibly hours away.. :-??

Tailgunnerdownunder

Postby Tailgunnerdownunder » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:29 am

Relics may not be everyone's cup of tea Pete but I love them and I love this helmet too. A real piece of history :thumbsup: great helmet. Regards Mark.

The Devils Bank

Postby The Devils Bank » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:25 pm

It's very sharp in places, and you have to be careful when picking it up.

It has come out decent and should now last a lot longer..