Couple of auction wins today in Germany.

Moderator: Dave_Holden

Dave_Holden
Site Admin

Couple of auction wins today in Germany.

Postby Dave_Holden » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:48 pm

Hello all.

I was at an auction today in Hamburg and won these two oil paintings. I am sure one is of Lake Konigssee and St.Bartholomews Church, which is around half way along the lake if you take the boat trip. You can get off here for a coffee and cake. I cannot make out the artists name but it looks like a 50, so guess it was painted in 1950? The title of the lot was "German Lake with Church", this is the English translation anyway.

Second lot is an interesting one and was titled "German Politician". Could this be Julius Streicher? Its signed "Stahl 33", so era is certainly correct - maybe Freidrich Stahl who exhibited in the 1937-44 exhibition in Munich. Certainly the painting has been reframed, but the back of the canvas is very old. A bit about the terrible Streicher below from Wiki:

Julius Streicher (12 February 1885 – 16 October 1946) was a member of the Nazi Party. He was the founder and publisher of the virulently antisemitic newspaper Der Stürmer, which became a central element of the Nazi propaganda machine. His publishing firm also released three antisemitic books for children, including the 1938 Der Giftpilz (translated into English as The Toadstool or The Poisonous Mushroom), one of the most widespread pieces of propaganda, which warned about the supposed dangers Jews posed by using the metaphor of an attractive yet deadly mushroom. The publishing firm was financially very successful and made Streicher a multi-millionaire. At the end of the war, Streicher was convicted of crimes against humanity in the Nuremberg trials and was executed.

I took a bit of a punt on this painting as there were many bids. It certainly looks like Streicher and he was often photographed in suits rather than the NSDAP uniform. I spoke to the auctioneer after for any history. All he could tell me he was selling it for a customer (along with a lot of other stuff at the auction), and that's the informed title of the painting. The sellers identity of course is impossible to know and the auction house would never give this information.

Politician - 1933, maybe I am putting 2+2 together and making 5!!! Too late now because I bought it :grin:

Interested to know your thoughts. :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Andyb

Re: Couple of auction wins today in Germany.

Postby Andyb » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:04 am

Two great pictures there Dave, I know what you mean regarding the Church on the lake :thumbsup:

04418900-C880-4B0F-A46F-777FFE64524C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

doug6zj9

Re: Couple of auction wins today in Germany.

Postby doug6zj9 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:22 pm

very interesting - thanks for sharing :thumbsup: